We hope you and your loved ones are safe and healthy. City Hall remains closed until further notice in accordance with the County of Santa Clara Public Health Order. While parks remain open, playgrounds are closed in accordance with direction from the County. Parks visitors are encouraged to maintain adequate social distancing. Stay updated by connecting with us on Facebook, subscribe to our monthly newsletter, or read the monthly Senior Center newsletter.
If you have an urgent Recreation Division related message, please email us or call (408) 846-0460 and leave a message. This phone line will be checked every 48 hours and items will be responded to during the shelter in place period.
In the meantime, check out the classes that are open for registration or visit Gilroy’s Virtual Recreation Center.
The Recreation Division's Fall program line-up includes virtual and in-person classes. Click on the links below for information about the class and to register.
- After School in the Park (ages 6-11) [flyer, registration packet]
- Futsal (ages 3.5-12)
- Tae Kwon Do (ages 4-15)
- Flag Football Developmental League - Air Attack (ages 8-13)
- After School Sports (grades TK-8th)
- Adaptive Recreation (ages 13+)
- Virtual Chess Wizards (ages 6-12)
- Virtual Kidz Love Soccer (ages 2-10)
- Virtual Online After School Sports Club (TK-8th grade)
- Driver's Ed Online (ages 15+); use code 0460
- Disaster Emergency Preparedness (ages 12-adult)
- Virtual Chair Yoga for Seniors (ages 65+)
COVID-19 Mandatory Health Directives
Please be advised that Santa Clara County’s COVID-19 Public Health Orders mandate that you may only enroll your child(ren) in one (1) in-person childcare, after-school care, or youth activity during the same three (3) week period.
Contact the Recreation Division by email or phone at (408) 846-0460.
The Recreation Division is committed to engaging high-risk youth and their families to social, recreational and educational programs that support and enhance their quality of life through Community-Based Recreation.
Gilroy Youth Center
The Gilroy Youth Center is a free program for income eligible residents living in the incorporated areas of Gilroy. The Gilroy Youth Center operates an after school program during the school year and a day camp during the summer. Programming is held at the Cesar Chavez Gym, 227 IOOF Ave.
Qualifying families must register their child and complete a CDBG Gilroy Youth Scholarship Application. All information is confidential and is used to meet Federal grant audit requirements. Please submit one of the following documents with the scholarship application as proof of income:
- Free or reduced lunch eligibility letter
- Section 8 eligibility letter or voucher
- Enrollment in an government-assisted programs.
Registration Open for Fall 2020
Registration is now open! Session 1 runs from September 8 to October 22. Session 2 is October 26 to December 17. There are two groups: Group A is on Mondays and Wednesdays from 2:30 to 5:00pm and Group B is on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 to 5:00pm. The program flyer provides more details in English and Spanish.
- English Registration Form and Liability Waiver
- Formulario de Registro y Exención de Responsabilidad en Español
For more information, please contact Community Coordinator Monica Gonzalez by email or at (408) 422-7392.
How Do I:
Apply for a Job
Teach a Class (Independent Contractors)
Rent a Picnic Area or Facility
Apply for or Support the Youth Scholarship Fund
Participate in the Bench Plaque Program
Advertise in the Activity Guide
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates
Visit the City of Gilroy Covid-19 communication page to find information including the status of City services, answers to frequently asked questions, the shelter in place order and ways to keep you and your loved ones healthy and safe during this time. This page is actively updated by the City of Gilroy with dates and times of the last posting.
For Santa Clara County information related to COVID-19, please call 211 or go to their website.
The Recreation Divsion is assisting with FREE food distribution at the following locations:
- Box Lunches for Seniors on Monday through Friday from 11:00am to 12:00pm at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna Street.
- Breakfast and Lunch for Gilroy Children on Monday through Friday from 12:00 to 2:00pm at San Ysidro Park, 7700 Murray Avenue. Children do not need to be present to receive food, adults can pick up the food on behalf of their children under the age of 18. Meal-to-go bags contain a breakfast item and a hot lunch. The program flyer contains more details.
- Second Harvest Food Bank Brown Bag Drive-thru Program on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month from 9:00 to 10:00am at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St.
The City of Gilroy has put together a list of Food and Meal Resources which includes links to the Gilroy Farmer’s Market, Gilroy restaurants, GUSD food resources and a map of food distribution sites in Santa Clara County. Once you click on the link, scroll down and you will find these resources.