Downtown Gilroy / Incentives
The Heart of Gilroy
Downtown Gilroy is the heart of our City. Its walkable character, historic charm, and eclectic mix of restaurants, shops, services, and entertainment make it a great location for many businesses. Downtown has ample parking, great transit access, and many residents in close proximity. In the coming years, Downtown's existing train station will be expanded to accommodate a station for the future high speed rail.
Downtown Improvement Incentive Program
Our downtown businesses are an important part of our community and provide services and experiences that make our community unique. The new, limited-time incentive programs will help downtown businesses by assisting with efforts to revive and refresh their buildings. The new incentive programs are now available to businesses in Gilroy’s downtown core. Both programs began on July 1, 2019 and end on June 30, 2020. Program Flyer. (Please note properties with unreinforced masonry may not qualify without an active performance agreement)
The Downtown Commercial Corridor Development Incentive Pilot
All City imposed engineering, planning, and building fees for internal staff time have been reset to 25% of the previous fee level (in other words a 75% discount).Eligible between 1st and 10th Street on Monterey Road.
The Downtown Façade Improvement Pilot
- Downtown Commercial Corridor Development Incentive Pilot - Eligible Area Map* or .kmz
- Downtown Commercial Corridor Development Incentive Pilot - Eligible Address List*
- Downtown Commercial Corridor Development Incentive Pilot - List of Fees
This Program provides a 1:1 matching grant of up to $5,000 to help fund minor façade improvements such as awnings, paint, windows, parklet and other minor improvements. Applications will be evaluated on a first come first serve basis and are required to comply with the Downtown Specific Plan.The official program policies and procedures, along with an application form can be found to the right under "Related Documents". Applications for Façade Improvement can be picked up and turned in at the City’s Administration and Economic Development Departments at City Hall. Eligible between 3rd and 10th Street on Monterey Road.
- Downtown Façade Improvement Pilot - Eligible Area Map* or .kmz
- Downtown Façade Improvement Pilot - Eligible Address List*
- Downtown Façade Improvement Pilot - Policies and Procedures
- Downtown Façade Improvement Pilot - Application
*Maps and address lists are approximate please inquire for more details.
Downtown regularly hosts a wide variety of fun, family-friendly events. Whether it's the Friday night music series, art & wine stroll, Halloween beer crawl, or car show, there's always something going on in downtown Gilroy! For a taste of what's happening, check out the Welcome Center's event calendar, take a look at the Downtown Business Associations featured downtown events.
Downtown is home to a wide range of restaurants, entertainment establishments, and specialty retail shops. From antiques to furniture and from clothes to toys, downtown's local businesses offer an eclectic mix of products. Similarly, services abound in downtown, where you'll find fitness studios, hair salons, medical facilities, and much, much more. In conjunction with a number of partner organizations, a comprehensive list of downtown businesses is currently being developed. Check back soon for this information.
City staff work closely with downtown merchants and prospective business owners to help entrepreneurs open or expand their businesses. Peruse the information below to learn more.
Available Properties. Browse downtown properties that are for sale or lease through the Economic Development Corporation’s available properties listing.
Permitting Information. Looking to open or expand your downtown business? The city is here to help. Contact the city's Development Center Manager, Lee Butler, or call 408-846-0451 to understand what you'll need. We are always happy to answer your general questions, and here are some of the services that the city offers free of charge:
- Development Review Group (DRG). The city's development services team (planning, building, public works, fire prevention, hazardous materials, and police) can review your conceptual proposal early in the process to let you know what is needed to get your business up and running.
- Expedited Permitting. Many downtown proposals are eligible for streamlined permitting, for example, through our plan check by appointment services where building permits are often issued at the initial meeting.