City of Gilroy Home
City of Gilroy

Business License

List of City of Gilroy Business Licenses

Business Licenses Listed By Name

Business Licenses Listed By Address

License Application Information

Businesses located in Gilroy are required to complete a Business License Application form and a Supplemental Business Information Form. Home-based businesses located within the city limits of Gilroy also need to apply for a Home Occupation Permit. Obtain the signatures listed on the signature page. This requires in-person processing. A business representative will come to City Hall located at 7351 Rosanna Street with your business information completed on the application page. Start at the Planning Counter and proceed to each counter to obtain signatures. These signatures can only be obtained from 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm, Monday – Friday (except holidays). Once all signatures are obtained process the application at the Finance Window.

All businesses that provide and/or prepare food shall also obtain a signature from a Health Inspector from the Santa Clara County Department of Environmental Health. Contact the DEH at 408-918-3400 for more information.

Business License Renewal

If you currently have a business license with the City of Gilroy and have not received your renewal application in the mail, please call (408) 846-0420 or come in to City Hall, 7351 Rosanna Street, Gilroy, CA 95020 to request a copy.

The following businesses are also required to obtain a signature from the Gilroy Police Department:

  • Card Rooms
  • Gambling Parlors
  • Dance Halls
  • Arcade Entertainment
  • Adult Books/Video
  • Gun/Ammunition Sales
  • Bars
  • Palm Reading/Psychic Counseling
  • Tattoo Parlors
  • Massage/ Spa Services
  • Smoking Parlors

Contact the Police Administration at 408-846-0367.

BUSINESSES NOT LOCATED IN GILROY (such as contractors or other out of town services that come to the customer location in Gilroy).
Complete only the Application Form and process in person at the Finance window or these can also be sent in by mail. Please contact Licensing at 408-846-0420.

These require a Transient Business License and an Identity Permit. Please contact the business license office for more information at 408-846-0420.


  • Charitable organizations and financial institutions are not required to pay a license fee. However, these are required to complete the application form and obtain signatures in order to be certain that they are occupying a location that is zoned for the use, that their tenant space/building meets the Building and Fire Codes, and for other regulatory requirements that may apply to the organization.
  • Vending Machines and Delivery Vendors require license, contact Licensing at 408-846-0420.
  • Garage Sales require a license, contact Licensing at 408-846-0420.
  • Home occupations are required to file a Home Occupation Permit Application form with the Gilroy Planning Division. The Home Occupation Permit is a one-time filing. Please call Planning at 408-846-0440 for more information.
  • Any business location where alcoholic beverages are served at a bar requires a BAR permit.
  • Any business location where there is dancing to live music requires a DANCE HALL permit.
  • Apartments where there are more than 3 units to a building require a business license.
  • HOA's may be required to have a business license
  • No business or organization may conduct door-to-door solicitation or services without obtaining an identity permit and having one of the business licenses described above.

- Download the Business License Information Flyer
- Download the Business License Fee Schedule
- Download the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE) License

Business License Fee Schedule

Business License Regulatory Review/Inspection Fees
  1. Change (other than location or ownership) Renewal/Reprint $15.00
  2. New/moved/change in location or ownership
    1. Commercial/Industrial:
      1. No Fire/Bldg/Inspections Required $120.00
      2. Only Fire Inspection Required $250.00
      3. Fire And Building Inspections Required $370.00
    2. Home Occupation $70.00
    3. Salon Space/Out-of-town-business Service Address $30.00
    4. Pretreatment/CUPA Review $40.00
    5. *Police Regulated Business Review $190.00

*If fee is not covered under the cost of a police issued permit.

Annual (July-June) $ 150.00
Semi-Annual $ 90.00

Fiscal Schedule
License due July 1st of each year:
Professional $100.00
Service $ 50.00
Vending Machine $ 10.00 per machine
Delivery Vehicle $ 50.00 per vehicle

Annual Schedule
License due January 1st of each year:
0-2 units $ 0
3-5 $ 40
6-20 $ 80
21-40 $ 120
41-60 $ 160
61-80 $ 200
81-100 $ 240
101 - + $ 280