City of Gilroy Home
City of Gilroy

What is a CUPA?

A CUPA is a Certified Unified Program Agency, which is authorized to carry out several of the various hazardous materials regulatory programs administered by the State and City.

What does this mean for Gilroy?
It means local control over hazardous materials programs, better customer service, and cost savings. Being a CUPA combines the various State hazardous materials laws into one program, with the City of Gilroy's Hazardous Materials Ordinance and Fire Code also regulating hazardous materials, these have all been combined to create one program administered by the City's Chemical Control Program. This allows for a streamlined hazardous materials program. For businesses, this means fewer inspectors, fewer inspections, and one fee.

What laws and regulations are in the CUPA programs?
The State laws and regulations covered by the CUPA include:

  • Underground Tanks
  • Community Right to Know and Spill Notification
  • Accidental Release Program (Risk Assessment and Control of Extremely Hazardous Substances)
  • Above Ground Tanks
  • Hazardous Materials Inventory Reporting
  • Hazardous Waste Generator and First Three Tiered Permits, CA, CE, PBR

The City codes covered by the CUPA include:

  • Hazardous Materials Storage Permit Requirements
  • Fire Code Hazardous Materials Requirements
  • Industrial Wastewater Permit and Inspections for the South County Regional Wastewater Authority (Sanitary Sewer Plant)

What does the State require of a CUPA?
The State regulations require Santa Clara County's CUPAs to coordinate all aspects of the hazardous materials program with each other. The Santa Clara County CUPAs use the same many of the same forms and standards, and report program information to the State in the same format. The CUPAs carry out enforcement and technical interpretation of the laws and regulations in a coordinated and consistent manner. The Santa Clara County CUPAs meet monthly and have set up a number of joint policy documents.