Our building inspection team is ready to help you with your project. Our seasoned inspectors are ICC certified. We inspect buildings for compliance with code requirements and scope of work in accordance with building permits. All construction work that requires a building permit must be inspected and remain accessible and exposed for inspection until approved by the inspector. The permit must be on site at all times throughout the construction/modification phase. A set of City-approved plans (stamped "JOB COPY") are required to be on site for each inspection.
You can schedule an inspection by calling (408) 846-0451.
Inspection Requirements List
This list is provided as a general guideline for residential and related buildings. There are always unique features to all structures and conditions may require additional items. Please discuss these with your field inspector. Non residential projects are usually more complex and might require a different procedure.
- Post the house number so it is visible from street.
- Have permit(s) and plans ready for the inspector.
- Property lines shall be clearly marked and property corners exposed, or located by a licensed surveyor, so that the required setbacks can be verified.
- Note: fences are not acceptable as indicating the location of property lines.
- Forms, reinforcing, base material and membranes (under slabs), hold downs and anchor bolts (in place) and any underslab services.
- A grounding electrode device (UFER ground, for instance) is required to be in place.
- For foundations requiring special inspections or tests, the special inspector must have inspected and signed the permit. The Special Inspector shall also leave two copies of a stamped and signed report regarding tests or special inspections for the Building Inspector to review. Inspection must also be made by the City Inspector. Do not pour concrete until the inspection card for the preceding inspections is signed by the City Inspector.
Under Floor / Rough Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical
- All floor framing, underfloor service equipment, conduit, piping, ducts (insulated) and other related equipment shall be in place.
- Provide tests for DWV system and water lines, cleanouts shall be in place, pipes and ducts strapped.
- Provide the required underfloor access openings.
This inspection may be combined with the underfloor inspection if the project is 500 square feet or less, and the insulation is on site and ready for installation. Do not install the subfloor until the inspection card is signed for the preceding inspections.
- Roof sheathing inspection is made after all roof framing and sheathing has been installed and prior to installing any roofing materials.
- Complete nailing of exterior Braced Wall Panels and/or Shear Panels.
Rough Framing, Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical
- Complete electrical systems, including smoke detectors, electrical boxes and panels shall be in place and supported. Splices and wiring in boxes shall be complete including a continuous equipment grounding system.
- Complete plumbing systems, including vents and shower pans. Plumbing shall be pressurized.
- Complete mechanical systems, including flues, condensate drains, combustion air provisions and location and clearance provisions.
- Complete framing system (roof, wall, floor, and stair), including nailing, hold downs, straps and ties. Connections between roofs or floors and foundation. Windows and exterior doors installed, wood siding installed and primed, exterior cement plaster lath installed, and flashings. Fireplaces and chimneys (masonry and manufactured) installed according to manufacturer's instructions (usually includes some method of fire protection at the hearth extension).
Insulation & Miscellaneous
- Wall and ceiling insulation.
- Tubs and one piece showers ready for testing (including drains).
- Water service and sewer lateral hookup (pressurized and ready for inspection).
Drywall, Exterior & Interior Lath Inspections
- Drywall nailing is inspected before taping.
- Tile lath (vertical surfaces) and exterior cement plaster lath is inspected after the flashings and weep screeds are in place.
- Clearances required by other City agency's must be completed (permit card signed).
- Mechanical, plumbing and electrical work is inspected. Appliances and fixtures must be in place and operable.
- CEC form (mechanical equipment installation) and insulation certificates must be posted. Exterior doors must be weather-stripped. Glass doors on fireplaces shall be installed. Fireplace damper accessible and operational. Backdraft dampers operational. Setback thermostat operational. The required hot water heater pipe insulation shall be in place.
- Rough grading completed.
- Permanent address numbers installed, legible from street.