Industrial Waste Permits

When Industrial Users Are Required To Obtain A Permit

All industrial users proposing to connect to or to contribute to the municipal sanitary sewer system shall obtain an industrial waste discharge permit before connecting to or contributing to the municipal sewer system. The program, however, only issues a permit certificate to actual dischargers that actually have an industrial waste. Many users of the system, like a retail shop or an office, may not have to obtain a permit certificate. This assessment is made during the business license application and building permit application processes. See the list below for examples of businesses that have to obtain a permit certificate.

Example Businesses That Require Industrial Waste Permitting

All industrial users proposing to connect to or to contribute to the municipal sanitary sewer system shall obtain an industrial waste discharge permit beforehand.
  • Animal Care: Kennels, Grooming
  • Any Commercial Cooking: Bakeries, Caterers, Deli's, Restaurants, Fast Food Establishments, Halls And Auditoriums With Kitchens
  • Art Studious: Ceramics, Painting, Pottery
  • Cleaners, Dry Cleaners, Laundries, Laundromats
  • Food Processing, including Breweries, Dairies, Wineries
  • Furniture: Repair, Painting, Stripping
  • Hospitals: Convalescent, Medical, Emergency, Veterinary
  • Laboratories: Chemical, Medical, Research and Development
  • Manufacturing
  • Medical: Chiropractors, Dentists, Physicians, Veterinarians
  • Paper, Wood or Metal Processing, Cutting, Machining, Coating, Painting, Polishing
  • Photography: Film Processing, X-Ray Developing, Dark Rooms
  • Printing / Copy Shops
  • Vehicle Related Businesses (Automotive, Aircraft, Boat, Truck or Tractor): Car Washing, Steam Cleaning, Parts Washing, Radiator Repair, Detailing, Painting

Permits Issued by the Chemical Control Program

The Chemical Control Program issues a permit certificate and conditions to Categorical Users (Class 1), Significant Users(Class 2), and Non-regulated Significant Users (Class 3). Non-significant Users (Class 4) may or may not be issued a certificate depending upon the type of use.

Permit Certificates

Permit certificates are also used by the Gilroy Fire Prevention and Hazardous Materials Storage Permit Program. The certificate has check boxes to indicate which permits are included on the certificate. The certificate will indicate the expiration date of the permit. The certificate will always be accompanied by permit conditions. You can download a sample permit certificate (PDF).

Permit Conditions

These permit conditions indicate the limits on average and maximum waste water constituents and characteristics, Limits on the average and maximum rate and time of discharge, requirements for flow regulations and equalization, Requirements for installation and maintenance of inspection and sampling facilities, Specifications for monitoring programs which may include sampling locations, frequency of sampling, number, types and standards for tests and reporting schedules, Compliance schedules, Requirements for submission of technical reports or discharge reports, Requirements for notification, and other conditions.