About the Commission
The Planning Commission is a 7-member body which acts as an advisory body to the City Council on matters pertaining to land use. Planning Commissioners serve a 4-year term.
The Commission’s duties are as follows:
- Reviews and has decision making authority over planning applications for specified land use entitlements including conditional use permits and variances from the City's development standards
- Reviews and makes recommendations to the City Council regarding planning applications for subdivisions, General Plan amendments, zoning ordinance and map amendments, specific plans, and planned unit developments
- Reviews and makes recommendations to the City Council regarding applicable programs in the Housing Element*
- Reviews and makes recommendations on applications for significant alteration or demolition of a historic resource*
- Makes recommendations to City Council on street names, when applicable*
- Reviews applications involving development related to bicyclists and pedestrians**
*: On January 10, 2022, the City Council of the City of Gilroy adopted Resolution No. 2022-02 to consolidate the following advisory bodies: Housing and Neighborhood Revitalization Committee, Historic Heritage Committee, and the Street Naming Committee, and placing their associated board functions under the authority of the Planning Commission.
**: On January 24, 2022, the City Council of the City of Gilroy adopted Ordinance No. 2022-01 to consolidate the Bicycle Pedestrian Commission and placing their associated board functions under the authority of the Planning Commission and Parks and Recreation Commission for infrastructure planning and development review.
- 6:00 p.m.
- The 1st Thursday of every month
- City Council Chambers
7351 Rosanna St.
Gilroy, CA 95020