Managing City Affairs
Jimmy Forbis was named Gilroy’s City Administrator in October 2020. He brings more than 20 years of municipal experience, having previously served as the Finance Director for the City of Gilroy; the Finance Director in Monterey, CA; Utilities Business and Budget Manager for the City of Morgan Hill, CA; and as a Management Analyst in San Mateo County, CA.
He has a Master’s Degree in Public Administration from San Jose State University and performed his undergraduate work in Recreation Administration at the University of Kansas/Missouri Western State College.
He has lived in South County for nearly 16 years with his wife, two sons, and daughter.
Role of the City Administrator
The City Administrator is the Chief Executive Officer and head of the administrative branch of the city government. The City Administrator is appointed by and responsible to the City Council for the proper administration of all affairs of the city. The City Administrator also ensures that the laws of the state pertaining to the City, the provisions of the City Charter, and the ordinances of the City are enforced.
The Chief City Administrator is empowered and required to take a continuing interest in the effectiveness and economy of all administrative arrangements. One responsibility is forming a cohesive basis of employees from which city policies, procedures, rules, and regulations are both promulgated and followed.
The primary responsibilities of the City Administrator are to:
- Form the City Council’s legislative agenda and working with the Mayor and Council members to identify and address issues of community-wide concern
- Oversee City departments: Police, Fire, Community Development, Community Services, Finance, and Administration
- Oversee the City’s $120 million budget and development of the annual financial statement audit
- Attend meetings of the City Council and participate in the council’s deliberations, but not vote
- Serve as Gilroy’s Director of Emergency Services, coordinating the readiness of the city to respond to natural and man-made disasters
Jimmy ForbisCity AdministratorPhone: 408-846-0202
Bryce AtkinsAssistant to the City AdministratorPhone: 408-846-0210
Rachelle BedellCommunication and Engagement ManagerPhone: 408-846-0443
Andrew YoungEmergency Services & Volunteer CoordinatorPhone: 408-846-0211
Daniel ScottCommunity Resilience CoordinatorPhone: 408-846-0439
Victoria ValenciaEconomic Development ManagerPhone: 408-846-0207 Ext. 0207