Beginning on January 1, 2020, the Building and Safety Division is required by State law to enforce the 2019 Edition of California Building Standards Codes (also known as Title 24 of the California Codes of Regulations (CCR)). All projects submitted on January 1, 2020, or thereafter are required to comply with the following applicable codes:
- 2019 California Building Code (CBC)
- 2019 California Residential Code (CRC)
- 2019 California Electrical Code (CEC)
- 2019 California Mechanical Code (CMC)
- 2019 California Plumbing Code (CPC)
- 2019 California Energy Code (CEnC)
- 2019 California Historical Building Code (CHBC)
- 2019 California Fire Code (CFC)
- 2019 California Existing Building Code (CEBC) and 2020 International Existing Building Code (IEBC) App. A1, A2, A3, A4, and A5
- 2019 California Green Building Standards Code (CALGreen)
- 2019 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC)
For more information about state-mandated changes, visit the California Building Standards Commission's website.
The City of Gilroy adopted these codes with amendments. Here is a copy of the Ordinances.
- Adoption of the 2019 California Building Code - See Ordinance 2019-09
- Adoption of the 2019 California Fire Code - See Ordinance 2019-10
The following design criteria are provided as general guidelines for all building projects within the City of Gilroy and are not intended to replace specific recommendations by the project engineer or architect:
- Seismic Design Category (SDC): D (Section 1613, CBC)
- Wind Speed & Exposure: 92 mph, Surface Roughness Category C, and Wind Exposure C.
- Climate Zone: 4 (Fig A101-A, CEnC)
- Soil Bearing Pressure: 1500 pounds per square foot (psf) or in accordance with the soil report. Due to expansive soil conditions in Gilroy, a soil report is required for all new construction projects (Section 1803, CBC). Please contact the Building & Safety Division if you have any questions.
- Maximum Rainfall: 1.5 inches per hour. (Table D-1.1, CPC)
- Climatic and Geographic Design Criteria (CRC Section 301.2) - For one- and two-family dwellings:
- Ground Snow Load: NA in Gilroy
- Wind Design Speed: 92 mph
- Seismic Design Category: D2, CRC Section R301.2.2.1 for SDS=1.0 in City of Gilroy
- Air Freezing Index: See Table 403.3(2), CRC
- Mean Annual Temperature: 59.7 degrees Fahrenheit
- Subject to Damage From:
- Frost Line Depth: 12 Inches
- Weathering: No
- Termite: Very High
- Winter Design Temperature: 32 degrees Fahrenheit
- Ice Barrier Underlayment Required:
- Flood Hazards:
City of Gilroy has participated in the NFIP since 8/1/1980 (Ordinance 98-17 adopted 9/8/98) Last Flood Insurance Study was completed on June 29, 2009 Map Number 06085CIND0A, C0619H, C0636H, C0637H, C0638H, C0639H, C0643H, C0752H, C0756H, C0757H of 830 (Effective Date May 18, 2009)
If you have any questions, please contact the Building & Safety Division at (408) 846-0451.