Small Business Relief Program
In the face of COVID-19, City leaders know that many local small businesses are struggling. A strong business community fosters strong employees and strong communities. In an effort to help support our local small businesses and our community, the City of Gilroy has established a grant program to support small businesses in these trying times. Businesses operating within the city limits of Gilroy may qualify for a one-time business relief grant using federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funding.
Grants are based on the number of full-time equivalent employees as of March 16, 2020 (when the Santa Clara County Health Officer issued the initial Shelter-In-Place order):
Maximum Grant Award:
- $5,000 for businesses with 2-10 employees (70%, up to 61 grants)
- $10,000 for businesses with 11-25 employees (30% up to 13 grants)
Allowed Use of Funds: Used for working capital (rent, payroll, utilities, inventory, etc.)
Application Period: February 8, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. to March 12, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
COMPLETED APPLICATIONS will be accepted via email or mail, starting February 8, 2021. The application period will close on March 12 at 5:00 p.m. No applications will be accepted after 5:00 p.m. on March 12, 2021.
Online: Grant applications must be e-mailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Mail: You can mail your application to the following address:
Attn: Small Business Grant Application
7471 Monterey Street
Gilroy, CA 95020
If you are having difficulties with delivering the application, please give us a call at 408-842-6437 and we can accommodate a pickup for you.
ALL ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. For business owners with multiple businesses, they may only apply for funding assistance for one business or business location.
PLEASE NOTE: Businesses who have applied for and received a grant from this program during the first round of applications back in July of 2020 are not eligible to receive a second grant from this same program and same pot of funds.
Qualified applicants must be able to meet all of the following criteria:
- Operate a permanent physical commercial storefront (open to the public) location within the City of Gilroy;
- Have a valid City of Gilroy business license at the location for at least one year;
- Be a for-profit business in good standing (e.g. no outstanding code violations or compliance orders, etc.);
- Be a business that is not otherwise prohibited or restricted in the City;
- Have at least 6 months remaining on current lease;
- Have between 2 and 25 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees on payroll at the time of the initial Santa Clara County Shelter-In- Place order was issued on March 16, 2020;
- Demonstrate that at least 51% employees are low-moderate income**;
- Generate less than $5 million in annual gross receipts; and
- Demonstrate a financial burden resulting from COVID-19.
**Low-Moderate Income is defined as 80% or below the Area Median Income (AMI), by household size:
|Persons in Household||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8|
Verification and Grant Award Process
All applicants will be required to verify application eligibility and evaluation criteria to finalize the grant agreement. Should any applicant not be able to provide necessary documentation for verification, they will be removed from the list and will not be considered further.
Required documents for verification may include (as applicable) copies of:
- W-2 or payroll schedule
- Current W-9
- Current City of Gilroy business license
- Photo Identification
- 2019 Profit & Loss/Income Statement
- Current Lease Agreement or Deed of Trust
- Partnership Agreement
- Articles of Incorporation
Required forms that may need to be completed for verification may include (as applicable):
- Household Income Verification
- Presumed Benefit Business Report
Should grant funding be exhausted, remaining applicants will remain on the waitlist. If more funding becomes available, the City may utilize the waitlist for continuation of the Small Business Relief Program.