Housing Element Update
Sign Up for Email Updates
Use this link to sign up for email updates regarding the Housing Element and Housing Element Update process. Regular emails will be sent to provide information about opportunities to provide feedback, the Housing Element process, staff presentations to City Council, and decisions made by Council.
Click on one of the Tabs above to take the survey, watch an informational video, or learn more.
The City hired a consultant team to help Gilroy update the Housing Element, starting with a review of our current Housing Element, conducting background research on our community demographics (e.g., income and family size), and drafting a Needs Analysis based on ongoing input from our residents, affordable housing organizations, community service providers, and other community stakeholders.
Please take a short online survey. We would like to know what you think about affordable housing, housing conditions, senior population needs, and other housing-related concerns for the City of Gilroy.
June 28th Community Meeting (6:00 PM to 8:00 PM)
Please attend our June 28th (Tuesday) Community Outreach meeting for more information about the City’s Housing Element Update. This meeting will include a summary of our findings to date (e.g., community survey responses, governmental constraints). These findings will help us start the conversation about potential housing element programs and underutilized properties in Gilroy that could accommodate new housing.
June 28th (6pm to 8pm) ZOOM Link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/84936840825
Can’t attend the meeting? No Problem! A recording will be posted on this webpage a few days after the meeting. You can also view a recording of past meeting by clicking on the links below.
Watch the March 30th Workshop Video
What other community outreach efforts have occurred?
The first (virtual) Community Meeting was held on August 11th. The purpose of this meeting was to provide information on the update process. Attendees also joined a virtual breakout session to discuss housing needs in Gilroy. Watch the 09/11/21 Community Meeting Video
What other informational public meetings have occurred?
On October 25, 2021, the City Council reviewed a menu of potential housing policies for consideration during the 2023-2031 Housing Element Update. The City's consultant will consider these potential policies as part of their background analysis. The analysis will be presented to the Council and the public at a future meeting (date TBD). For more info, including the staff report and a link to the meeting recording, visit this link: http://gilroyca.iqm2.com/Citizens/Detail_Meeting.aspx?ID=2032
On January 12, 2022, the Housing and Neighborhood Revitalization Committee reviewed an update on the Housing Element update process and other housing policy updates. For more info, including the staff report, visit this link: http://www.ci.gilroy.ca.us/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_01122022-1937?html=true
How else can I get involved?
The City hired a consultant team to lead the community outreach effort, including online surveys, stakeholder interviews, virtual workshops, and more. The update process provides a variety of opportunities for community involvement, including:
Potential Sites Review (coming soon)
Public Meetings with City Council and Planning Commission (late summer)
WHAT IS A HOUSING ELEMENT?
The Housing Element is one of seven required chapters (“elements”) in the General Plan. The City's Housing Element outlines Gilroy’s goals, policies, and implementation programs for the preservation, conservation, improvement, and production of housing. The Housing Element also identifies the specific actions the City will take to address existing and future housing needs.
WHY ARE WE UPDATING THE HOUSING ELEMENT?
The State’s Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) requires cities to update their Housing Elements every eight years. The current Housing Element covers the period from January 2015 to January 2023. The next period is from 2023 to 2031. The update process is an opportunity to reflect on Gilroy's changing needs, resources, and conditions. An effective housing element provides the necessary conditions for developing and preserving an adequate supply of housing, including housing affordable to seniors, families, and low-income workers. While the Housing Element must address specific state requirements, it is ultimately a local plan and should reflect the priority of the community.
WHAT WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE HOUSING ELEMENT?
A successful Housing Element will outline the strategies the City will take over the 2023 - 2031 planning period and include:
- Community outreach and feedback will be a vital component of Gilroy's Housing Element update process.
- An analysis of existing and projected housing needs and available resources to address the City’s housing needs. The Housing Element will address special-needs populations such as farmworkers, large families, female-headed households, seniors, and people with physical or developmental disabilities.
- A sites inventory of land suitable for housing development.
- An identification and analysis of governmental constraints to maintaining, improving, or developing housing for all income types and special needs populations. Examples of constraints include zoning and land use controls, fees, and permitting procedures.
- A program of policies and goals that include specific steps to achieving the goals. Examples include equal housing opportunities and strategies to preserve affordable units from conversion to market-rate units.
Additional Housing Information
- California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD)
- Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA)
- Housing Element Site Inventory Guidebook
- Let's Talk Housing Santa Clara (letstalkhousingscc.org)
- Affordable Housing 101 and FAQs
- Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing
- Housing in Gilroy
- Housing Laws 101