News Flash Home
The original item was published from 2/23/2022 9:08:22 AM to 2/26/2022 12:00:01 AM.

News Flash

Carousel Template

Posted on: February 23, 2022

[ARCHIVED] Cold Weather Safety

Cold weather safety hotline 408-385-2400

The National Weather Service has issued a freeze warning for our area from now through Thursday night. For more information on planning for the cold weather, visit

Warming Centers

Warming Centers provide our community members shelter from the cold weather. The Gilroy Library located at 350 W. 6th Street is currently operating as a warming center during the following hours:

Wednesday: 1 PM - 9 PM

Thursday: 10 AM - 6 PM

Friday: 10 AM - 6 PM

For the complete list of Warming Centers, please visit

Cold Weather Safety Tips for Older Adults

With more cold weather forecasted for this week, community members are encouraged to check on their older adult family members and neighbors who may need additional support and help them prepare now. Suggest wearing multiple layers with an outer layer of clothing that is tightly woven, and if possible, wind resistant to reduce body-heat loss caused by wind. Help check their furnaces and fireplaces to make sure that they are working properly to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Cold Weather Safety Tips for Pets

Pets are special family members. Prepare your pets for the cold! Plan ahead and continue to monitor weather service. Leave your pets' coats a little longer to provide more warmth. After giving them a bath, make sure they're completely dry before taking them outside.   

Invisible Killer: CO

Carbon monoxide (CO) is called the “Invisible Killer” because it's a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. More than 150 people in the Unites States die every year from accidental nonfire-related CO poisoning associated with generators, faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces. You can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning by doing the following: 

  • Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home.  
  • Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year. 
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors. 
  • If you smell an odor from your gas refrigerator have an expert service it. An odor from your gas refrigerator can mean it could be leaking CO. 
  • When you buy gas equipment, buy only equipment carrying the seal of a national testing agency, such as Underwriters’ Laboratories and make sure your gas appliances are vented properly.  
  • Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin. 
  • Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home, cabin, or camper. 
  • Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a buildup of CO inside your home, cabin, or camper. 
  • Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal – red, gray, black, or white – gives off CO. 
  • Never use a portable gas camp stove indoors. Using a gas camp stove indoors can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper. 
  • Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent. 
  • When using a generator, use a battery-powered or battery backup CO detector in your home.

For More Information

  For more information, visit the cold weather safety webpage at    

Facebook Twitter Email