The City of Gilroy has been experiencing a high volume of building permit submittals, causing increased wait times for plan review. Unfortunately, these wait times are anticipated to increase due to the 2023 state-required building code changes and the current staffing levels.
Please know that your project is important to us, and we are exploring solutions to decrease wait times.
Current Plan Review Estimated Timeline:
PRELIMINARY REVIEW: 3-4 WEEKS
- Upon submittal, your building permit submittal will enter the queue for preliminary review, and you should receive a response from our team within 3-4 weeks.
- If your building permit submittal is found to be complete, you will be notified that your submittal has been routed for plan review and you will be provided an anticipated plan review turnaround date.
- If your building permit submittal is found to be incomplete, you will be notified of any missing items at this time.
FIRST PLAN REVIEW COMMENT LETTER: 2-12 WEEKS AFTER PRELIMINARY REVIEW
- Upon preliminary review, if your building permit submittal is found to be complete, your project will enter the queue for a thorough review. You will be notified that your submittal has been routed for plan review and you will be provided an anticipated plan review turnaround date. You should receive the first plan review comment letter or approval within 2-12 weeks after completion of the preliminary review.
- Review times for the first plan review comment letter vary from 2 to 12 weeks, depending on the type, size, and complexity of the project, as building permit plan review encompasses all disciplines and is highly technical and detailed.
Building permit plans are reviewed thoroughly to ensure that buildings and structures in Gilroy will safeguard the public’s health and safety.
Thank you for your patience. We recognize that these extended wait times can be challenging, and we are committed to finding solutions to resolve these issues as soon as possible.
Should your project need immediate assistance, please make an appointment to submit your project in-person at Gilroy City Hall by calling (408) 846-0437.
(Building Permit Submittal Process and Timelines Graphic in PDF Format)