Is Gilroy required to build the housing assigned?

Under current state law, cities are not required to build housing units. Housing construction is still driven by the private market. Instead, a city is required to ensure that sufficient land and appropriate zoning standards are available to accommodate all assigned units. To do so, cities must determine whether the current zoning standards can accommodate its RHNA assignment. If not, the city is required to designate new sites for this purpose – usually through amending the General Plan and Zoning designations.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Housing Element?
2. Why do we need a Housing Element?
3. Why should I participate in the update process?
4. What is the City's Regional Housing Need Allocation (RHNA)?
5. Is Gilroy required to build the housing assigned?
6. What is considered "low-income" in Gilroy?