Gilroy, like many cities, has experienced an increase in illegal fireworks activity. Illegal fireworks can pose many dangers to our community and can:
- Cause injuries or death
- Cause fires
- Cause respiratory distress
- Frighten adults and children
- Frighten and distress animals/pets
- Disrupt sleep
Illegal fireworks cannot be legally used or sold anywhere in the state of California. Typically, these devices make very loud explosions and/or fly through the air or across the ground. Illegal fireworks include:
- Cherry Bombs
- Bottle Rockets
- Roman Candles
- Any aerial pyrotechnic (firework)
Using illegal fireworks can lead to fines and imprisonment. Administrative penalties in the City of Gilroy start at $500 per violation and can reach $1,000 for repeat offenders.
Reporting Illegal Fireworks
Gilroy residents may report fireworks violations anytime via email to email@example.com
Gilroy residents may report the use of illegal fireworks using the Nail ‘Em app on July 4th, between 7:00 p.m. and midnight. The application will only be monitored during this time period. "Nail 'Em," is a free smartphone app that allows for real-time, instant communication with our officers who are assigned to work illegal fireworks enforcement.
Please include as much detail as possible:
- Exact location where fireworks are being used
- Name of offender(s) if known or description
- Type of fireworks (aerial fireworks, firecrackers, mortars, etc.)
- Date and time or usual times of occurrence
- Attach/upload photos or videos if possible
- Indicate whether you wish to be contacted or remain anonymous
Please note that email reporting is not monitored 24-hours a day. If you require immediate attention, call our non-emergency line at 408-846-0350.
**Please do not call 9-1-1 to report fireworks, unless it is an emergency. If you are unable to report via the app or email, please call our non-emergency number - (408) 846-0350.
Safe and Sane Fireworks
Safe and sane fireworks in Gilroy are ONLY allowed in designated areas and ONLY starting on July 1st at 9:00 AM and ending July 4th at 10:00 PM.
Gilroy’s Annual Fireworks Show
One of the safest ways to celebrate the 4th of July and fireworks is through Gilroy's annual fireworks show. The show will take place on July 4, 2021, with the fireworks beginning around dusk at approximately 9:30 PM and originating from Gilroy High School. Residents are encouraged to enjoy this annual tradition and time with family in a way that is consistent with current protocols for social distancing and restrictions on gathering.
The following closures will be in place starting Sunday evening (UPDATED 6/24):
- Uvas Creek Levee will be closed between Miller Avenue and Luchessa Avenue
- 10th Street will remain open through traffic
- Orchard Drive and Valley Forge Drive will be closed at 10th Street
- Street parking on the west side of Uvas Park Drive will be prohibited
- Street parking on the south side of 10th Street will be prohibited
- Parking and gathering at Gilroy High School and the overflow parking lot will be blocked off and prohibited