Planning Gilroy’s Future
The City of Gilroy's Planning Division is committed to developing and implementing programs to support the city's General Plan. We promote sustainable development and encourage quality design and livability of residential neighborhoods, commercial areas, and industrial zones within the city's urban sphere.
Our team provides a variety of services to fulfill the objectives of the General Plan, provide efficient permit processing services, and encourage public participation in the land use process.
CURRENT COVID-19 GUIDELINES
In accordance with the Santa Clara County Shelter in Place order, Planning staff are providing remote service for all development projects. All communication will be conducted through email, phone or other electronic means.
We will take in applications, review plans, complete inspections, and issue permits. In order to ensure the safety of our employees and our customers, we have implemented the Planning Department COVID-19 protocols.
For general planning related questions, please email the Planning Division for fastest service. Alternatively, you can call 408-846-0440 and leave a message.
New Applications: Please email the Planning Division to submit a new application. Application materials may either be attached to the email or shared with a file sharing service such as Box.com. New applications will be assigned to a planner who will reach out to you remotely. After a planner has reached out, they will provide an invoice to pay for permit fees.
Resubmittals can be sent electronically directly to the planner assigned to your project. Please contact the planner assigned to your project for information on planning inspections.
For outdoor permits during COVID, please visit our Al Fresco Information Page.
The Planning team is responsible for implementation of Gilroy’s General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, adopted specific plans and other associated ordinances. Our responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responding to public inquiries related to land-use and property development regulations
- Providing solution-oriented customer service to support economic development opportunities whenever possible
- Reviewing land-use entitlement applications (e.g. tentative map, conditional use permit, annexation, general plan amendment, architectural & site review permits) for conformance with adopted policies and regulations
- Administering the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) for environmental review related to planning and development proposals
- Updating and maintaining the General Plan and Zoning Ordinance
- Providing staff support for Historic Heritage Committee and Planning Commission
- Resolving land-use related violations through Code Enforcement