Gilroy's Planning Division, which includes Code Enforcement, is committed to developing and implementing programs to support the city's General Plan. Staff promotes sustainable development and encourages quality design and livability of residential neighborhoods, commercial areas and industrial zones within the city's urban sphere. Our team provides a variety of services to fulfill the objectives of the General Plan, provide efficient permit processing services, and encourage public participation in the land use process.
The Planning team is responsible for implementation of Gilroy’s General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, adopted specific plans and other associated ordinances. Typical activities include, but are not limited to:
- Respond to public inquiries related to land-use and property development regulations.
- Provide solution-oriented customer service to support economic development opportunities whenever possible
- Review land-use entitlement applications (e.g. tentative map, conditional use permit, annexation, general plan amendment, architectural & site review permits) for conformance with adopted policies and regulations
- Administer the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) for environmental review related to planning and development proposals
- Update and maintain the General Plan and Zoning Ordinance
- Provide staff support for Historic Heritage Committee and Planning Commission
- Through Code Enforcement, resolve land-use related violations.
IMPORTANT NOTICE - Reestablishment of RDO Interim Exemption Process
On June 17, 2019, the City Council approved Resolution 2019-37 which reinstates the use of the Residential Development Ordinance (RDO) Interim Exemption process, thereby allowing acceptance of new residential development applications citywide.
The resolution states as follows:
"Gilroy City Code Section 30.50.60 (b) (2) I. entitled 'RDO Interim Exemption for Projects on Properties without Previously Awarded Allocations' shall be implemented with no specified implementation timeframe or numeric allocation of available units."
These provisions will be implemented on all new residential development applications, until further notice.
For additional information, please contact the Planning Division at (408) 846-0451.
High Speed Rail
Keep up with planning for High-Speed Rail Downtown !